Energy Plant Forest Watched as Renewable Fuel Source

Energy Plant Forest Watched as Renewable Fuel Source

Image source: http://worldartsme.com/images/hydroelectric-power-plant-clipart-1.jpg

Liputan6.com, Jakarta Forest is able to supply renewable energy for human needs. At the same time, sustainable forest management can also sustain life and become a bulwark of climate change disasters.

This was stated by the Minister of Environment and Forestry Siti Nurbaya. Indonesia has many potential renewable energy sources. Everything is directly related to the existence of forests and the environment, he said on Tuesday (22/3/2017).

Renewable energy sources include biofuel, biomass, geothermal, water, wind, solar, ocean waves and tides.

Currently around 90 percent of energy in Indonesia still uses fossil energy such as coal, petroleum, and natural gas. The rest, less than 10 percent already use renewable energy.

For the development of renewable energy, the Ministry of Environment and Forestry is reviewing the development of energy plantations. Plants that are utilized are the types that can be used as biofuel and biomass energy. For example ekaliptus, sengon, nyamplung, acacia, kalaindra, and candlenut.

Minister Nurbaya also revealed there are 48 geothermal potentials in conservation forest, 56 points in protected forest, and 50 points in production forest.

While at 145 points in other areas of use are potential as geothermal resources. If used, the geothermal point that can generate electrical energy up to 28,617 Mega Watt.

The locations include Telaga Bodas, Kamojang, Batang Gadis, Kerinci Seblat, Halimun Salak, Ciremai, Rinjani, and Bogani Nawarta Bone, Nurbaya said.

He also said, the use of renewable energy and sustainable forest management is an important part of climate change mitigation.

He reminded the importance of keeping the forest as a buffer system of life, among which is maintaining the water system that is indispensable to living beings.

Meanwhile, Chairman of the Indonesian Forest Entrepreneurs Association (APHI) Indroyono Soesilo revealed there are 32 companies ready to develop energy plantations. The extent, 1.1 million hectares, he explained.In details, there are 10 units that were originally prepared for energy plantations. Its total area is about 297,645 hectares. In addition there are about 22 other units that have declared a commitment to the development of energy crop forests with a concession area of ??about 790,000 hectares.

Developed energy crops, in particular, are to produce biomass. Utilization of biomass as a raw material of energy is believed more easier and closer to reach the mass stage.

The biggest challenge for energy plantation development is the selling price that is still higher than the basic electricity tariff.

The current provisions regulate the Sale Price of Electricity from new and renewable energy to PLN which is set at a maximum of 85 percent of the Production Cost of Electricity (BPP) of each region.

Based on the policy, continued Indroyono, bioenergy development from biomass in western and central part of Indonesia will be very difficult because the price of electricity produced is more expensive than the cost of electricity production in the region.

However, for eastern Indonesia there is still a chance. Because there are many utilizing diesel power plants that cost more electricity, he explained.

According to him, it is necessary to find a breakthrough to attract biomass energy business applied in Eastern Indonesia and Western Indonesia.

Related Post