Image source: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/12/06/15/470C64B300000578-5152121-image-a-15_1512575273127.jpg
It takes a very long time in the process of metamorphosis (breeding in physical appearance after egg hatching) this type of insect, but its life is relatively short which is only 6 months.
Yes, the name of this type of insect is none other than a dragonfly. More specifically the type of dragonfly (order, Odonata). Type of dragonflies in the world 75% of them in Indonesia clearly Weni Julaika, MIPA Faculty of Biology, University of Tanjungpura (UNTAN) Pontianak, while presenting at the Foundation Office of Palung related research results at Research Station Branch Panti, Gunung Palung National Park (TNGP) for the final assignment, Friday (6/16/2017), last week.
According to him, the type of dragonfly that is in TNGP based on the results of his research for one month, found 16 species of Odonata dragonflies in 4 habitats in the forest around the river (lowland Granite, Sandstone, Alluvial and Water Swamp).
This type of dragonfly that he successfully identified, among others;
1. Family: Synlestidae and included in Genus: Ecchlorolestes sp.,
2. Family: Libellulidae included in Genus: Crocothemis sp.,
3. Family: Libellulidae is the Genus: Palpopleura sp.,
4. Family: Libellulidae is a Genus: Zyxomma sp.,
5. Family: Chlorocyphidae is a Genus: Rinocypha sp.,
6. Family: Libellulidae, Genus: Crocothemissp.,
7. Family: Calopterygidae, Genus: Phaonsp.,8. Family: Chlorocyphidae, Genus: Rinocyphasp.,
9. Family: Coenagrionidae, Genus: Ischnura sp.,
10. Family: Aeshnidae, Genus: Gynacantha sp.,
11. Family: Libellulidae, Genus: Orthetrumsp.,
12. Family: Libellulidae, Genus: Trithemissp.,
13. Family: Calopterygidae, Genus: Neurobasissp.,
14. Family: Synlestidae, Genus: Chlorolestessp.,
15. Family: Coenagrionidae, Genus: Archibasissp.,
16. Family: Platycnemididae, Genus: Torranticnemissp.
When asked about why to research dragonflies, Weni Julaika said; in West Kalimantan is currently not much to examine about dragonflies. In addition Weni explained the presence of dragonflies in a region is as a reference to know the state of the environment (habitat) is still good.
Usually at the time of laying eggs, dragonflies can produce hundreds of thousands of eggs. Before becoming a dragonfly, the eggs undergo the longest metamorphosis process, this period is called nymph stage (phase sequence contained in the process of metamorphosis of animals / insects). Earlier the dragonfly mate as he circled the river and attached one with the other dragonfly, that's where the dragonfly happens.In stage (phase) nympa / nymph can reach 4 weeks fastest and at most 3 to 4 years, depending on circumstances surrounding environment. While the life of dragonflies only 6 months. The food from the dragonfly is a mosquito. While nimpa before becoming a dragonfly eat algae, tadpoles (frog larvae), children fish and not infrequently eat fellow nimpa. In other words, the bloom of a dragonfly belongs to a vicious carnivore. Nimpa dragonfly also turned out to be able to breathe with gills on the tip of his stomach.
The research conducted by Weni Julaika in Gunung Palung National Park (TNGP) to know the types of dragonflies, the level of diversity of dragonflies and environmental factors conditions in the TNGP region. While the benefits expected from the research as information type of dragonfly, reference environmental preservation and reference for other research if you want to investigate more about the dragonfly.
Based on Weni's presentation, it is known that there are around 250 species of dragonfly in Kalimantan, dragonflies are almost evenly distributed all over the world. 75% of the dragonflies are in Indonesia.
May the biodiversity (flora-fauna) that exist in TNGP more special dragonfly can be sustainable until later.
Peter Kanisius- The Trench Foundation