Image source: https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/sites/rodalesorganiclife.com/files/articles/2017/03/how-to-grow-lentils-main-1000.jpg
Kangkung is a very popular vegetable, because many peminatnya. Kangkung also called Swamp cabbage, Water convovulus, Water spinach. Originating from India which then spread to Malaysia, Burma, Indonesia, South China Australia and parts of Africa.
Kangkung widely planted in Java, especially in West Java, also in Irian Jaya in Muting District Merauke kangkung district is a living barn everyday. In Darussalam District, Aceh Besar District, the ground kangkung plant is widely grown for family consumption and for sale to the market.
Kangkung is a fast-growing crop that delivers results within 4-6 weeks from the seed. Kangkung known as Latin Ipomoea reptans consists of 2 (two) varieties, namely Kangkung Darat called Kangkung Cina and Kangkung Air which grows naturally in paddy fields, swamps or ditches.
The most important part of the kangkung plant is the young stems and the shoots as vegetable material. Kangkung besides good taste also has high enough nutrient content, contain vitamin A, B and vitamin C and mineral materials especially iron which is useful for body growth and health.
This plant can grow well throughout the year. Water spinach can grow in hot and cold climates
The amount of good rainfall for this plant growth ranges from 500-5000 mm / year. So for cultivation in polybags need regular watering.
Kangkung plants require open land or get enough sunlight. Kangkung is very strong against the heat and drought. When planted in a rather sheltered place, the quality leaves good and limp so favored consumers.
Air temperature is affected by the height of the place, each rises 100 m high place, then the air temperature drops 1 degree C. When the water spinach is grown in a place that is too hot, the stems and leaves become rather hard, so it is not preferred by consumers.
Here's how to cultivate watercress in polybags:
1. Prepare a better polybag with a diameter of 30 cm (to fit more)
2. Enter the planting media in the form of fertile soil or top soil would be better if you use compost as a planting medium.3. Make a hole with a finger with the size into 20-30 cm, with a spacing (between holes) 1.5 x 15 cm.
fill each hole with 2-3 seeds. Then cover the planting hole with soil and flush.
4. In order to obtain a good harvest, in the maintenance of kangkung hatchery required regular watering and often in dry weather. Do watering in the morning and evening
5. Fertilizer of kangkung plants with urea fertilizer, a week after planting, then 2 weeks after planting. Giving urea fertilizer mixed with water then watered at the base of the plant with a sprinkler bucket.
At the time of fertilization, the land is dried in advance for 4 to 5 days. Then watered back.
6. Do weeding when there are weeds (disturbing plants). Weeding done every 2 weeks.
7. The first harvest can be done on day 12. Currently kangkung has grown with a rod length of approximately 20-25 cm. Others start cutting after 1.5 months of planting.
How to harvest water spinach is almost the same as ground kangkung. How to harvest, prune the trunk by leaving about 2-5 cm above ground level or leaving 2-3 old books. Harvest done in the afternoon. Harvesting is done by cutting the watercress ready to harvest with the trunk feature large and broad-leaved.
This is information about the cultivation of kale plants in plibag while this is the complete cultivation of the kangkung plants on land.
Good luck to plant kale in polybags.